In the Fall and Wintertime, mom would always make variations of Asian pear dessert soup/tea for the family. This light, delicious and comforting tea is great to have an hour before bedtime to put you right to sleep. Here is the super easy recipe!
- 2 Asian pears
- 2 tsp North Chinese almonds
- 2 tsp South Chinese almonds
- a small piece of dried tangerine peel
- 4 cups of water
- rock sugar (used as a sweetener so you can add as much or little as you like)
1) Soak the almonds and tangerine peel separately in cold water for 15-20 min. Then drain the water.
2) Cut the Asian pear in quarters and remove the core.
3) Place pears, almonds and tangerine peel into the pot of a small double boiler. Add water and make sure that the water covers all ingredients. If you don't have a double boiler, you can use a small pot and add enough water to cover the ingredients by 2-3 inches.
4) Bring to a boil (around 30 min) and then simmer for 1-1.5 hours. The longer you simmer it, the sweeter and stronger the flavour.
5) Optional: Mix in rock sugar.